Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How I Begin

6 months since I left home,
35 flights,
6 countries.

I never thought I would leave my country. I was very attached to everything I had back at home. The condo, the car, Sunday brunch with my crazy friends, the fun of furnishing my home, and my favourite Ramly burger that's only 5 mins drive away at 3am. Though I always fail to find the substance in my lifestyle , but the everyday things were more than enough to keep me in love with my country.

When I was offered a transfer to the neighbouring country, it was the most difficult decision I had to make. I couldn't bring myself to leave all the comfort I put together for myself over the years and to detach from all the familiarity. I finally took up the offer and ever since, my life and my view about it have taken an entirely different route.

It's now full of possibilities. I do not know where I will be tomorrow, next week or next year. There is no routine, and there is no familiarity. I have uprooted myself so much that I no longer feel attached to anything. I am willing to be posted to any country for any duration. I no longer need a base or any form of security that is permanently there. My hotel room is what I call home. I am his most mobile resource and that is not easy to come across, my boss once said.

Many think that I am having the ideal life for any 25 year old. Jet setting to different countries, travelling for work and having a hell of a time. It is amazing how circumstances change us. It changes your view about life, it changes your take on life. Occasionally I still have trouble recognising what is the substance behind this new lifestyle. If anything, the lack of substance is worse than before since there isn't any 'anchor' anymore. But right now, it's all about exploring the new possibilities and and I have removed the invisible boundary I previously had.

I still don't know where the finishing line is and how I would like it to look like. It's all about making the most out of what's today and making little milestones to keep me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment