Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Many Ways to Get Around Bangkok

In KL, we drive

In Singapore we take the MRT, bus or walk.

In Bangkok, the options are so wide and cheap it's unbelievable. Though I have to say not all are tourist-friendly.

First of all, taxi is darn cheap here. They are less likely to con you like how KL taxi drivers do. A ride to Grand Palace from my hotel that's about 20-30 minutes costs less than 100 bht. Which is why I don't bother taking the SkyTrain (BTS) sometimes. Where else can you ride a taxi for this price?

Tuk tuk is my all time favourite. Tourists are so afraid of taking tuk tuk here in fear of being kidnapped or conned, or being sent to some tourist trap to buy gems. The fear is so exaggegarated I can't make any sense out of it. Though they sometimes cost more or equally the same with taxi, but I love the wild ride and how they freely make illegal u-turns and go against the traffic flow to cut the trip short. I have never been conned by any tuk tuk drivers. All you need to do is to negotiate the fare, and just say no if you sense that they are over charging you. There is absolutely no need to fear them as if they were mafias. Besides, tuk tuk is one of the signatures of this beautiful city. How can you miss the experience of a roller coaster ride?

For short trips, you can hire motorbikes. The riders usually wear a pink vest and their station have stools and yellow umbrellas. It is usually to get you to short destinations, like a short 10 minute walk. They charge 10bht but beware if your distance is meant for a taxi ride, the charge will be very expensive. So only use them for short rides.

The cheapest mode of transportation is the unmarked white vans. It cost me 10 bht to get from Pratunam to MBK. I really wonder how they make any money at all. It is quite impossible for tourist to take this since you won't be able to recognise the van and you don't speak the language, but it is really the cheapest option I have seen so far.

From taxi, to van, to tuk tuk, and motorbike. Why do I love this city again?

No comments:

Post a Comment